I think there is no surprise when it comes to new NDP budget.
Here are some of the general highlights
- Projected deficit of $6.1 billion (roughly 1.8% of GDP compare to 6.9% in 1986-87 budget)
- A balanced budget in 2019-2020
- Tax increases in tobacco and liquor
- Higher tax on insurance premiums
Funding specifically for Families
- $75 to $100 million set aside of $25 child care per day
- Child tax benefit ($1,100 first child and $550 for each of the next 3 kids) carries over from PC government. Details can be found here.
Funding specifically for Schools
- Hiring 380 new teachers (already filled by school boards)
- New nutrition program for $40 million (details coming)
- Freeze on post-secondary tuition over the next 2 years
- $45 million set aside to reduce school fees
- $3.8 billion for schools